Vegetable + Trouble = Vegetrouble

So, whats this all about then?

Vegetroubles inception came from a GameJam event back when I was a student in 2010 – 2011. Myself and some of my peers decided to enter a GameJam competition that was run by Hull Uni. We where to draw 3 things from a hat (Three thing game competition), then come up with a game concept from them and build it. We drew the words… Holiday, Vegetable and ……………. Zombie! And so, Vegetrouble was born, a 2D side scrolling beat ’em up game. The initial idea/story we came up with was that zombified vegetables where taking over the world and you had to thwart their attempts. We implemented a character select, allowing you to choose from a range of non-zombie infected veg, you would then travel the globe to well-known holiday destinations and kill the zombie veg roaming these locations. Simple eh?

Now I’ve had a rethink and wanted to address this as a new project. My current concept is somewhat similar but has a lot of differences. This is now a 3D top down isometric game where you are to stop the zombie veg infection by hitting them on their heads (planting them back in the ground to be fertilised into healthy veg) before they infect the rest of the vegetable population. This is so that you can save the lovable animal characters (bunny, pig, goat, etc) from starving.

Advertisements

In The Beginning There Were Veg… and Fruit and Berrys and Seeds and…

So, When I initially started playing with the Idea of developing the Vegetrouble game (a game born from a 24h game jam event with a few Uni friends) I started with one of the most fundamental mistakes, I turned on a computer and opened some software, from there I started to develop characters. Now despite my years of practice and ability to do this, we all know that it is a mistake and something that should have been started on paper, well to be honest it did kind of start on paper. You see, I started designing some basic characters for the game on paper and then delved into the software and progressed from 4 characters into 7 all digital 2D final designs and was never really fully happy. You see, when it comes to the design process I have a rather large lack of confidence, primarily with my ability to visualise on paper (sketching). I have now realised that this is a primary opportunity for me to better my visualisation skills.

Moving on, I begun to develop the game in the same manner with little regard to the initial stages that would ultimately help direct the project and give it drive. I have been through stages where the initial idea has changed, where the aesthetic has altered and even been forced to change mechanics and even the target platform due to not fully realising what needed to be done and just wanting to go and make something ‘cool’.

Well, no more of this nonsense, from now on we have a new slate, it is clean. There is nothing but an initial idea and some residual memories of a past incarnation. This blog will now serve as the archive for the entirety of the project, pass or fail. You will see everything, from initial ideas, mechanics design, level design, character designs, props and objects, menus, GUI’s HUD’s, planning, research, user testing, documentation and presentations, I could go on, but you get the point.

(This project and the development blog are created to aid my students with effectively managing and evidencing a project. Just do the work!).

So, the time has come to get on with it.